Ask God to help your children make better choices, not copying your own faults and mistakes.
Here is a short prayer adapted from the Family Prayer Book for those times when you want your children to follow your good example, and not your bad mistakes.
Teach me, Almighty God, to set my children an example of the way in which they should walk. Never let them fall into sin by following any bad habit or any evil inclination which they may have learned from me. O let them not be brought to sorrow and suffering through my means: let them not incur guilt through any negligence or indulgence on my part. From all sin, keep them, O Lord; and especially from all sin which I might have taught them to shun. Let them live innocently and holily; let them remember the object for which their life is bestowed: let them remember the bliss which you have prepared for us all in your kingdom. So guide and inspire them, I entreat you, that they and I may enjoy that bliss together. Teach us to love you and one another here on earth; and, my God, may we meet again when death shall have parted us; and may we then love you and one another for ever and ever in your kingdom of holy love. Amen.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!