Here is a brief rundown of 10 important things to know about the Mass.
Catholics do a lot of things at Mass that may seem strange or confusing to both non-Catholics and Catholics alike.
Here are 10 common practices that are featured in the Catholic Mass and what they symbolize.
- Why do priests wear a chasuble at Mass? And what’s a chasuble?
- Why are bells sometimes used during Mass?
- Why do Catholics call their main church services “Mass”?
- Why is receiving the host at Mass called “communion”?
- Why is the Gospel led by candles and incense at Mass?
- The spiritual reason chalices are made from precious metal
- Flowers have an important role at Mass
- This is why the priest kisses the altar at Mass
- The spiritual symbolism of stone altars
- The history of incense and why it’s used at Mass