You’ll find atheists, agnostics, and people of all religions who recognize the sanctity of life
This is why the March for Life often has atheists, humanists and other secular pro-life groups march side-by-side with Catholic churches and schools. We are all in this together.
To help highlight this reality, here are seven quotes from people you may not expect to be pro-life and who have been outspoken about the right to life.
“For me, the number one issue is right to life.”
– Ben Stein, lawyer, political speech writer and actor
“I do, as a humanist, believe that the concept ‘unborn child’ is a real one and I think the concept is underlined by all the recent findings of embryology about the early viability of a well conceived human baby… I feel the responsibility to consider the occupant of the womb as a candidate member of society in the future, and thus to say that it cannot be only the responsibility of the woman to decide upon it, that it’s a social question and an ethical and a moral one. And I say this as someone who has no supernatural belief.”
– Christopher Hitchens, anti-theist, author, journalist, friend of famous atheist Richard Dawkins
“I find it impossible to subscribe to a philosophy that believes that the destruction of human life is a legitimate solution to a problem that is mostly social, economic and psychological. In reality, most women ‘choose’ abortion because they believe they have no other choice.”
– Patricia Heaton, Emmy Award winning actress
“I’m very contra my constituency in terms of abortion because I’m positively against it. I don’t have the right to any other view.”
– Jack Nicholson, Academy Award winning actor
“I’m considered a liberal except for that unaccountable heresy of recent years that has to do with pro-life matters.”
– Nat Hentoff, jazz critic, atheist and author
“I was once pro-choice. And the thing that changed my mind was, I read my husband’s biology books, medical books and what I learned is simply what it states – this isn’t even morally — this is pure biology. At the moment of conception, a life starts. And this life has its own unique set of DNA, which contains a blueprint for the whole genetic being. The sex is determined. Now people ask the question, well, is it a human being? We know there’s a life because it’s growing and changing.”
– Kathy Ireland, author, entrepreneur, actress, former Sports Illustrated swimsuit model
“As a scientist I know, not believe, know that human life begins at conception. Although I am not a formal religionist, I believe with all my heart that there is a divinity of existence which commands us to declare a final and irreversible halt to this infinitely sad and shameful crime against humanity.”
– Dr. Bernard Nathanson, co-founder of National Abortion Rights Action League (NARAL), former abortionist who performed 75,000 abortions
Support Aleteia! It only takes a minute.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!