This photo, posted by the couple’s 17-year-old daughter, is a sweet reminder of what marriage is all about.
Newman, a father to 17-year-old MacKenna, set up a desk and a chair just outside his wife’s room with the door left open so he could just be there for her if needed. Marci explained that her super-hubby “Jon goes to every doctor’s appointment, every blood test, every surgery, every radiation. And, as you can see, if he can’t be by my side he is as close as he can get!”
Although the story is super sweet, it is made even sweeter by the fact that it is an emotional MacKenna who posted the photo of her dad on Twitter, with the message: “My dad set up a desk at her door to keep her company and I’m crying.” Although it must be hard watching her mom suffering, knowing that her dad is doing what dads do best, looking after and protecting his family, must be bringing her a lot of comfort.
Newman’s simple but thoughtful actions are also a further reminder of how as parents we set an example to our kids: that together we are always stronger and that a couple’s bond can even strengthen through life’s toughest moments. We hope and pray that Marci’s road to recovery is quick and that the couple can look forward to many more years of being by each other’s side.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!