Studies show that helping others actually boosts your physical and mental well-being.
So, in case you’re in need of some motivation, here are four ways that volunteering will improve your health, from Barbara R. Edwards, MD, at PsychCentral:
- Boosts your confidence. Volunteering can remind you that you have a purpose in life, that your contributions are valuable, and that you do have the capability to make a difference.
- Decreases stress. A study from Carnegie Melon shows that those who volunteer regularly often have lower blood pressure. Both the psychological and physical effects of volunteering can decrease stress and anxiety by allowing you to help others, meet new people, move around, and shift focus away from your own life for awhile.
- Lowers the risk of depression. Spending time with others can help increase socialization and support, lowering your chances of struggling with loneliness and developing depressive symptoms.
- Longevity. A study showed that those who volunteer live longer than those who don’t. However, the study also showed that one’s intention in volunteering played a vital role. Those who volunteered for selfless reasons experienced positive effects on their health, while those who volunteered for selfish reasons did not.
Jenny Santi, author of The Giving Way to Happiness: Stories & Science Behind the Life Changing Power of Giving, wrote, “The key is to find the approach that fits us. When we do, then the more we give, the more we stand to gain purpose, meaning and happiness — all of the things that we look for in life but are so hard to find.”
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!