The conviction is only the second successful prosecution under the 2014 UK law against forced marriage.
The girl’s mother tricked the teenager into returning to Pakistan for a holiday, and then forced her to marry a relative who was almost twice her age, according to a BBC report.
Since legislation outlawing forced marriage was introduced in the UK in 2014, only one case has been successfully prosecuted. This case represents the first time a victim testified against her own family.
Pakistani activist Bina Shah told CNN that forced marriage is the norm in Pakistan.
“It is a major problem in Pakistan. We have the problem of child marriage but also coerced marriages, which, given that most marriages in Pakistan are arranged, is widespread,” she said.
“People are looking for other advantages, for example, to marry someone with a foreign passport,” she told CNN.
According to the BBC, British authorities investigated 1,200 possible forced marriages last year, and British diplomats facilitated 16 repatriations, through rescues or protection orders.
The British Pakistani population numbered 1.1 million in 2011. Around 90% of Pakistanis living in the United Kingdom are Muslim.
While arranged marriages are common among Muslim children, the Quran forbids forcing, coercing or tricking children into marriage.
Support Aleteia! It only takes a minute.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!