An airline passenger who is blind and deaf received the help he needed from a skilled and compassionate teen.
When the flight attendants finally decided to ask if anyone else aboard the flight could sign, 15-year-old Clara Daly came to the rescue. Clara had taken classes in ASL because, having dyslexia, she found signing easier to learn than written languages. For the last hour of the flight, the two of them talked as Tim told her about his life before he lost his sight and hearing and she shared about her grandmother, whom she had been visiting.
“You just do things because you do them and you’re supposed to,” Clara told King 5. “That’s how the world works. But then people call you extraordinary, but it’s just something that you do.”
Another passenger in the same row as Tim wrote a moving account on Facebook, saying, “I don’t know when I’ve ever seen so many people rally to take care of another human being. All of us in the immediate rows were laughing and smiling and enjoying his obvious delight in having someone to talk to.” That post has been shared over 600,000 times.
We aren’t all equipped to help every person we encounter, but what’s important is that when we are, we do. Clara Daly’s yes was barely a second thought, but it certainly changed Tim Cook’s day, and inspired many people who are hungry to find good in the world.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!