These simple expressions can help them grow in self-confidence, knowing they are appreciated and loved.
Here are 22 phrases that can do our children a lot of good (and not just them — a lot of these expressions can be helpful in any relationship!). And here’s a tip as you consider these: Try to replace generalized praise with recognition of specific actions and attitudes. For example, instead of telling your child, “You’re very smart,” refer to some specific moment in which he or she showed intelligence: “You give a great answer to that question!” “You figured out a really good solution for how to fix that problem!” “It’s great that you learned so much about dinosaurs!”
- I love being your father/mother/grandparent/uncle …
- I’m grateful to God for your existence!
- I’m proud of you for (say what it was). Congratulations! You’re very loved. Did you know that?
- You make me very happy! Thank you!
- Our family wouldn’t be the same without you!
- You can say “no” if you want to.
- I believe in you and I trust in you.
- You were right.
- We can try doing it your way.
- I want to hear your opinion about this. What do you think?
- I can’t wait to spend more time with you tomorrow/next week/etc.!
- It’s great that you’re curious to learn about things!
- You just asked a really good question.
- Congratulations! You made a great choice!
- I learn a lot of new things when I’m with you!
- I understand you.
- We all make mistakes!
- No one’s perfect!
- I’m listening. You can tell me whatever you want.
- It was brave of you to do that! Congratulations.
- I love you!
By referring to specific things children do, we will encourage them to cultivate positive attitudes and approaches to life. We can motivate them to take an interest in life, to put an effort into what they do, to be proactive, and to persevere in the face of difficulty. This way, we’ll teach them that they can rely on our support, and that it’s normal to make some mistakes in life as we learn and grow.
Since you are here…
…we’d like to have one more word with you. We are excited to report that Aleteia’s readership is growing at a rapid rate, world-wide! Our team proves its mission every day by providing high-quality content that informs and inspires a Christian life. But quality journalism has a cost and it’s more than ads can cover. We want our articles to be accessible to everyone, free of charge, but we need your help. To continue our efforts to nourish and inspire our Catholic family, your support is invaluable. Become an Aleteia Patron today for as little as $3 a month. May we count on you?