The devotion became widespread after St. Margaret Mary Alocoque testified that she had received apparitions of Jesus requesting to be honored under the figure of His heart.
A French nun of the Order of the Visitation of Holy Mary, Alocoque told her superiors that she had been visited by apparitions of Jesus, who revealed his love for mankind, and his desire that she make known his wish that he be honored under the figure of His heart.
The devotion, which emphasizes the love and compassion of Christ towards humanity, has its expression in frequent reception of the Holy Eucharist, including Holy Communion on First Fridays and the Observance of Holy Hours.
These beautiful churches and holy sites around the world that have been dedicated to Sacred Heart of Jesus are the outward sign of that spiritual devotion that continues all over the world to this day.
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!