Adoration is a form of prayer that can be performed anywhere and doesn’t require a church building.
In reality a prayer of adoration can be performed anywhere, in a church or in your living room. The key is to know what adoration is and how to engage in this type of prayer.
The Catechism of the Catholic Church explains that “Adoration is the first attitude of man acknowledging that he is a creature before his Creator. It exalts the greatness of the Lord who made us and the almighty power of the Savior who sets us free from evil. Adoration is homage of the spirit to the ‘King of Glory,’ respectful silence in the presence of the ‘ever greater’ God. Adoration of the thrice-holy and sovereign God of love blends with humility and gives assurance to our supplications” (CCC 2628).
Adoration at its most essential element is a recognition that God is God and we are not. This type of prayer acknowledges the wonder and beauty of God and how his protective hand is over all creation.
St. Ignatius of Loyola provides a simple way to perform an act of adoration in his Spiritual Exercises.
A step or two before the place where I am to contemplate or meditate, I will stand for the space of an Our Father and, with my consciousness raised on high, consider how the Lord my God looks upon me. Then I will make an act of reverence or humility.
We often forget that God is everywhere, not only in the church building. He is constantly at our side and looking upon us with kindness and mercy. When we realize this simple fact, we can adore God anywhere we are and recognize his loving presence.
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!