Maybe it is time to add something new to your routine.
Finding the right moment before going to bed
A life of prayer can only be possible if you pray daily. You cannot excuse it under a pretext of boredom and monotony. First, you need to find the right time. Nighttime is not always ideal. Isn’t there a better suited moment, the turning point between two activities? For example, you could pray between dinnertime and the start of your evening, or as you come back from work. It is up to each of us to find the right moment, for there is one.
What counts is that it is quality moment. Why give God the scraps of your day? The intimacy to which He invites us deserves better. Quality time takes precedence over everything else. You don’t pray with your hands on the keys of your laptop – you offer your Lord the attention He deserves. This is true friendship.
To renew your evening prayer
Love adores surprises. Alternate your evening prayer with contributions made by religious authors, from the Gospels, from the Divine Office. The goal of prayer is to sustain, and even provide, pleasure. Consider getting a book of the Liturgy of the Hours or subscribe to Magnificat, so you can pray at any point of the day. You can recite it alone, or in a group, be sustained by the Scriptures, and enlarge your heart.
Brother Thierry-Dominique Humbrech
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!