This shelter has found a creative way to raise money and boost residents’ self-esteem.
What really set this fundraiser apart, though, is that all of the clothing was modeled by women currently living in the shelter. Those behind the event hope that seeing these women dolled-up and strutting the runway will help erase the shame associated with homelessness and remind us that homelessness can happen to anyone. “What I hope is gained from the fashion show is that more people take homelessness as a really important issue, because nobody asks for this,” one resident said.
The proceeds from the show are being put towards medical and mental health care for the women in the shelter.
You can see footage from the fashion show below.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!