Women of every age will find a treasure in this coming-of-age novel set in 4th-century Norway.
Undset is a remarkable woman and deserves to be a feminist hero simply for her life-story alone.
But Kristin Lavransdatter reflects the personality of its author. Written at a time when women in novels were often either docile and lacking personality or sinful seductresses heading to a bad end, Kristin is neither. Set in medieval Scandinavia, the trilogy follows Kristin as she grows up, makes mistakes, sins, and fights her way to redemption and happiness. Her life is real, her experiences difficult, the choices she makes disastrous, but she also matures as a woman, finds forgiveness, and follows an interior journey of spiritual development.
The novel is long, but the fascinating descriptions of medieval life and the content of the story make it worth it. This book is probably best suited for teenage girls and older because of the challenging subject matter, but I can think of no better book for my own daughters to read during this period of their life as they too are finding their place in the world.
Here are 5 reasons I want my daughters to read Undset’s Kristin Lavransdatter:
Kristin makes mistakes with boys
I mean, she makes huge mistakes. As she approaches marriagable age, a local man named Simon shows his interest. He is kind, good, and a steady provider, so of course Kristin impulsively rejects him. Instead she attaches herself to an errant knight with no money and no morals, follows him out of town, and conceives a child with him.
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!