A simple visit to mom’s place of work led to a young girl to start a charity for vulnerable seniors.
On one trip to the nursing home, Ruby took with her a notepad and started questioning the residents about what they wished for. On her own accord she went from bed to bed writing down each resident’s three wishes. To her surprise they weren’t exactly what she thought they might be. No Ferraris or Porsches, just the simple things in life, like a can of Dr Pepper and some Vienna sausage.
Encouraged by the responses, Ruby set up a charity called “Three Wishes for Ruby’s Residents,” and started granting wishes to the residents. In the video posted by CBS below you’ll see the look of delight on the faces of all the seniors as they receive their wishes, yet perhaps their biggest delight comes from watching a young girl take an interest in them, showing them love and care.
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!