Officer Kevin Zimmerman serves his community with true compassion.
It was on last October 12 that Officer Zimmerman noticed Jackson didn’t have a correct registration for her car. After signaling Jackson over, he spotted that two of her children, Niyah and Sky, didn’t have car seats; another bookable offense.
However, having heard the mom’s story of how she didn’t have any money and needed to prioritize essential clothing for her kids with winter coming, the policeman, who has worked with the Milwaukee Police Department for 12 years, decided to serve this particular citizen in a most compassionate way.
Instead of issuing the desperate mom a big fine, he opted to give her a verbal warning and headed to Walmart to buy two car seats with his own money. He then went back to his police station and picked up some children’s books and stickers for the girls before heading to the mom’s house to install the seats himself.
Sharing that he was raised to “do the right thing even if no one is looking,” as reported by Alaa Elassar for CNN, the dad of three wanted to ensure the girls were kept safe, having seen the dangers of automobile accidents first hand.
Jackson shared the officer’s generosity and care for her family on Facebook, stating “My girls couldn’t stop thanking him and it made them smile….shout out to Officer Zimmerman at District 5. We appreciate it a lot.”
Zimmerman’s police district also shared their officer’s empathy and compassion on their Facebook page, thanking him for “going the extra mile and going above and beyond your call of duty.”
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!