Anthony DeStefano’s latest release is a beautiful way to explain Mary’s changing appearance in apparitions.
Given that this explanation is part of our family culture, imagine my delight when I discovered a new book from the master children’s writer, Anthony DeStefano. Just out from Sophia Institute Press, Our Lady’s Wardrobe is a delightful rhyming book with illustrations from Juliana Kolesova that are simply gorgeous. (My favorite is St. Juan Diego opening his tilma to show the flood of roses and the Image left by the Lady of Tepeyac.)
Starting with Mary’s time in Nazareth, Our Lady’s Wardrobe touches on six of her most beloved apparitions. (The only downside of the book is that it doesn’t include more.)
My children loved pinpointing which crown from her closet shelf corresponds to each apparition. And the sandals with roses? What little girl doesn’t want those!
As a mom, I’ve often found that when the kids see in a book a concept that we’ve already discussed, it takes on an even deeper meaning for them. (Mom must not be too crazy if this book says the same thing she does!)
Mary chooses to appear to us to show how close God is to his people. While we’ve talked about that idea many times, seeing it brought to life in this beautiful book made it an even deeper certainty for the kids.
And here’s the proof: As I read the book last night to my 7-year-old, she looked up at me with anticipation, and said, “Mommy, when I get to Heaven, I’m going to invite Mary for a sleep-over!” I’m sure Mary will be delighted to accept.
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!