A nun lights a candle in the Cathedral of Como (Cattedrale Santa Maria Assunta), Italy. The cathedral, located near Lake Como, is thought to be the last Gothic cathedral built in Italy. Construction began in 1396, 10 years after the foundation of Milan Cathedral, and finished around 1770 with the completion of the Rococo cupola by Filippo Juvarra. The imposing west front was built between 1457 and 1498 and features a rose window and a portal between two statues of Pliny the Elder and Pliny the Younger, natives of Como.
Photograph by Ralf Steinberger via Flickr CC BY 2.0 – Published with permission
Read : Cathedrals at night: These awe-inspiring monuments bring light to the darkness by Zelda Caldwell
And follow us on Instagram!